Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Things I've Learned In The Past 2 Weeks

Here are some random things I've learned in the past 2 weeks now that I'm out living on my own.

1.) Grocery shopping is not much fun...and I have no idea what I'm looking for.
Wandering down the aisles in search of stuff that is both healthy and delicious is a more difficult task than I predicted.

2.) I have no idea how to cook, and I need to learn how to do so.
Soup and yogurt were ok for a while, but those got old quick. I can only eat so much clam chowder before it gets a bit boring. Yesterday I fixed this by cooking eggs and some chicken breasts for the week. Now I need to learn how to make some more advanced dishes to keep up the variety.

3.) A house is never truly clean.
It seems like I'm constantly cleaning and yet the house is always dirty. Having parties on the weekend doesn't help this one bit, and it actually lowers incentive to clean since I know the house will be destroyed by Sunday.

4.) The fact that my Mom always did my laundry and ironed my shirts was under-appreciated.
You don't realize how much time this can consume until no one is there to perform this menial task.

5.) It's not surprising that people become alcoholics when you have a fridge full of beer at all times.
When I open the fridge and there's a ton of beer staring at me, it's quite tempting to grab one rather than get some water or something. If I wasn't on a health kick this might have been a problem.

There are more lessons that I've learned but I'll save them for later.


Hodge Out

1 comment:

lilly said...

1.) Shop the perimeter of the store - that's where all the healthy stuff is...protein, veggies, fruit & you're done...oh, and the frozen aisle...

2.) Get frozen veggies that steam in the bag - season however you like...Eat lots of salad, experiment w/making your own dressing -it's a good place to start, and if you have pre-cooked chicken, you're all set. Rip open a bag o' greens, toss in some veggies you like plus the chicken, whisk up a little dressing, and you're gtg! As for breakfast, get a blender...fruit, yogurt, blend...yum :)

3.) No, it's never clean...do a little every day and it's not that overwhelming. Mondays should always have an hr of devoted cleaning time. :P

4.) Make sure you tell your mom this...she will love it that you appreciate all her hard work.

5.) Beer...um...I won't comment :P

good luck!! :)