Friday, February 1, 2008

My own personal Lou Dobbs (Office Version)

It amazes me how long the woman at the desk about 20 feet behind me can talk on the phone without stopping. It can hardly be anything besides a one-sided conversation, judging by the short pauses between her statements.

I think of her as my own personal Lou Dobbs (Office Version - 2008).

She rants about a range of issues, mostly those that concern the middle class. Talking about everything from immigration to the housing crisis to religion in America. The only bad thing about this is that I no longer like listening to Lou Dobbs complain about the current political system without offering solutions.

She also has the recurring quip that "most people are ignorant". This comes from the woman who is afraid to vote for Obama because his name sounds like "Osama". In fact, she asked while in conversation with a fellow co-worker, "But isn't he, like, Muslim or...? I mean I'm not a racist or anything but..." You get the picture. White, middle-class baby boomer who has supressed most prejudices but still isn't fully open and hip to the progressive era of tolerance and understanding.

Such is life.

Hodge Out

No comments: