Monday, January 14, 2008

The Annual January Gym Invasion - Damn Sloths

When they say it's peak season in terms of gym memberships they are not lying. When you go to the gym >= 4 days out of a week as I was doing you get a feel for who the regulars are. But now that it's January there is a large influx of those with a smidgen of motivation to work off that fat which we'll presume has been building for several months now.

They take up all those machines that I would normally use and force me to wait a few minutes when I'm doing weights, a slight annoyance. I'm eagerly awaiting that time when these people give up and go back to their sloth-erly ways. And considering that a typical gym membership at Urban is 2 years and you can't even buy yourself out of it shows that the gyms make bank off those poor souls. Why shell out $40 or more a month and not use your membership? No financial sense whatsoever. The reason I joined in the first place was to motivate myself with like-minded individuals and the thought of the money I would be throwing away if I didn't get my butt to the gym.

So it goes.

Disclaimer: This is not intended to be a self-centered article where I actually want those aforementioned "sloths" to fail. I wish them success but the realist in me knows that most will fail. It's pure statistics, sadly. This was more of a rambling, which I do frequently.

Hodge Out

No comments: